Skip to content
NHS logo

Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2022

Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2022

Eating Disorder Awareness Week (EDAW) (28th February 2022 – 6th March 2022)

Eating Disorders are a distressing mental illness that is estimated to affect around 1.25 million people in the UK. As well as Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder (BED) and Anorexia Nervosa, eating disorders also include Other Specified Feeding/ Eating Disorder (OFSED) and Avoidant/ Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID).

It is possible to recover from an eating disorder and the sooner someone receives help, the better their chances of recovery. If you are worried that yourself/someone you know may have an eating disorder you can visit the NHS – Eating Disorder page which has a list of symptoms you should look out for.

This year’s EDAW campaign aims to increase the training and knowledge given to professionals, like GP’s, to help them spot the early signs of an eating disorder. This will ultimately help with increasing early access to treatment and reduce the risk of possible misdiagnosing.

Find out more about how you can get involved in this at:

BEAT Eating Disorders:

BEAT is the UK eating disorder charity designed to increase awareness support individuals suffering from eating disorders or disordered eating habits.

BEAT has resources available to guide you through a variety of stages. From visiting the GP to supporting someone else who is struggling, there are practical guides for you to read – These can be found at



BEAT Helplines:

BEAT also have email support and a telephone helpline open 365 days a year that you can call for either support or further information about eating disorders.

These helplines are open to anyone (so you don’t have to have an eating disorder) and are available in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales:


Local Resources:

Eating Distress North East (EDNE):

EDNE is a local organisation in Newcastle offering free support services for those who are suffering from eating disorders and distress or those who are watching their loved ones in this situation.

These support services range from counselling services to educational workshops and support groups that help you to better your own wellbeing or guide you through a difficult time.

If you feel like you need help, you can either self-refer or visit your GP and ask them to refer you to the EDNE service. More information about how to do this is available on their website:




Talking Helps Newcastle is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed, nor does it endorse any commercial product or service mentioned or advised on any of the sites. Always consult your own GP or ourselves if you’re in any way concerned about your emotional wellbeing.